You can’t get what you want and still make everyone happy. . . can you? Yes, it is possible! I have always been a person to find a way to get things done, a method of accomplishing the goals I wish to achieve. Maybe it started in childhood when my mother said, “no,” so I went to my father asking the same question. I can’t tell you how many times I heard the line, “What did your mother say?” Lesson learned; if it doesn’t work the first time–take a different approach. Preparation
“Start out with an ideal and end up with a deal.” – Karl Albrecht
- First you have to know exactly what you want, define it and determine acceptable variations–this will keep you focused and on track.
- Prepare carefully and research all aspects of the deal. This will ensure you are fully prepared for any counters you may incur.
- Negotiation is nothing personal so don’t make it a personal attack on the other party. And don’t take the other party’s actions as a personal attack upon yourself.
- Look at the situation from the perspective of the other party and show compassion toward their situation.
“If you can’t go around it, over it, or through it, you had better negotiate with it.” – Ashleigh Brilliant
- Listen to the needs of the other party.
- Be persistent.
- Don’t expect to “win” the first time. Your first job is just to start the other person thinking.
- Work through the terms, discussing multiple resolutions.
“The first principle of contract negotiation is don’t remind them of what you did in the past; tell them what you’re going to do in the future.” – Stan Musial
- Work together with the other party for a common resolution.
- Don’t be selfish; try to base a solution incorporating the needs of the other party.
- Negotiation is always best if both parties are happy and you can develop a win-win outcome.
- Put your bargain in terms of his or her needs, advantages, and benefits.
- Define and set a timeline for the transaction to take place.
Negotiation can bear a negative association so be sure to take the time to fully understand the situation, be a good listener, work to develop win-win resolution and never compromise your values. So dream the impossible dream, achieve your goals and gain a new confidence in life to go out and take the world by storm!